Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another n00b strikes again
Augie Offline

Likes Given: 1
Another n00b strikes again
Just remember that everyone was a n00b once.[Image: huh.gif] I am sure you heard all the stories so I think I can add mine as well. I quit 2 and a half weeks ago. I finally got tired of hacking up crap from my lungs. SO my wife and I went to a hypnotist (IMHO a waste of money) we made the decision on that were were going to stop period. We started vaping a fall back plan in case hypnosis didn't work. I bought 2 mods a Kanger Tech and a Geek Vape AEGIS. Now for a couple of questions
  • Do  you ever really get your taste buds back?
  • I find that I am always hitting on the vape but getting no real smoking type of satisfaction, Should I up the nicotine concentration of the juice I am using. Currently 6mg of nicotine. I smoked for 50 years.
TIA
30-04-2019 11:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 22,341
RE: Another n00b strikes again
Welcome and congratulations.

First off, it can take months but yes, you regain all your muted senses.

As for your satisfaction, what coil and power level are you vaping at?
01-05-2019 02:10 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Don (05-01-2019), ecignut (05-01-2019), paulS (05-01-2019)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,186
It is a bit uncomfortable when you first start. It takes getting to used. You will experienxce a number of symptoms but DO NOT give up.

1. Dry throat
2. Sore throat
3. No taste
4. Cough

Your body has to eliminate years of tar and resin that have built up in your system. Sounds horrible right? Well that sometimes gives you a sore throat and cough. The vape itself dehydrates you so you need to drink a lot of liquid too. It takes time to figure out what style of vape you want as well. I started MTL (mouth to lung) and then went DL (direct lung) and now I do both depending on my mood - I generally
MTL outside the house.

Most coils come with a recommended power level. Start at the lowest and work up until you find your sweet spot. Also I don't know which tank you are using. I alweays recommend the hellvape hellbeast tank now for new users. You can set it up with a high ohm nautilus coil and vape at 12-20 watts or set it for 50-70 watts with mesh coils. There is an adaptor for the smaller coils. And you can use either a big drip tip or the smaller 510. And you can MTL with nautilus and get a tight draw similar to analogs and up the nic a bit.

Now you started with the larger devices. Many new vapers these days are using pods ... I use pods often. There are a number of great pods out there the two I like best being the Vaperesso Zero and the Caliburn. With these you generally use a nic salt and always MTL. Having a back up pod is a good option. They are cheap enough.

Hope that helped.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
01-05-2019 02:53 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
Don (05-01-2019), ecignut (05-01-2019), TinWhisker (05-01-2019)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,296
Hi - Welcome to the forum. No need for me to add anything - two of our experts have you covered - best of luck and stick around and let us know how you get on.
01-05-2019 03:53 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
Don (05-01-2019), paulS (05-01-2019), TinWhisker (05-01-2019)
Augie Offline

(01-05-2019 02:10 AM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Welcome and congratulations.

First off, it can take months but yes, you regain all your muted senses.

As for your satisfaction, what coil and power level are you vaping at
Currently I use an Aspire Atlantis tank and sub ohm coil ~0.2 to 0.3 with a setting of 35 watts. I worked my way up from 20 watts. IMHO any thing more that 35 is a waste for flavor. (I like the fruit flavors) The gent at the store has the same mod and tank he runs at 80 + watts. gets a tremendous cloud of vapor. Who knows what will happen to me later but for now this works for flavor. I hit the vape for 10 minutes then put it down for half an hour then repeat the cycle. I have no problem hitting it as often as I do, but as I said the smoking satisfaction isn't there.
01-05-2019 04:50 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 22,341
Then if I may ask without sounding redundant, what do you mean by satisfaction? The nicotine part, the throat hit, the habitual act of smoking, etc?

35w is a bit low for that coil but wouldn't necessarily be unsatisfying. I say this because I would hit a coil like that at about the same wattage. I like a cooler, longer draw. And 6mg nic should not really be an issue either but if that is where the dissatisfaction is occurring, you could increase the nic without too much worry of over-nic'ing.
01-05-2019 04:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
paulS (05-01-2019)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

I am running a .13 ohm coil in my Dead Rabbit RTA at 39.8 watts and getting a perfect hit. The trick is to shut down your air to a very restricted setting. I'm using a 6 mg.

When I drip or use my big PWMs I'm vaping at 90+ watts with same type of coil and and a much bigger air flow with 3 mg juice.

BTW, I'm big fan of Aspire tanks. I use the Nautilus series as a rule. But the Atlantis is a fine tank if a bit dated. They do have an Atantis 2 though. They have released better. The Cleito 2 is very good and the new Nepho is great.

01-05-2019 05:17 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
ecignut (05-01-2019), TinWhisker (05-01-2019)
Augie Offline

(01-05-2019 04:54 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Then if I may ask without sounding redundant, what do you mean by satisfaction? The nicotine part, the throat hit, the habitual act of smoking, etc?

35w is a bit low for that coil but wouldn't necessarily be unsatisfying. I say this because I would hit a coil like that at about the same wattage. I like a cooler, longer draw. And 6mg nic should not really be an issue either but if that is where the dissatisfaction is occurring, you could increase the nic without too much worry of over-nic'in
No need for being redundant since you just asked. Now my answers might sound a bit flippant but forgive me and I will attempt what I mean. That being said one of my passions is long distance motorcycle riding and touring, People ask why do what we do, A response given could be something like if I have to explain you wouldn't understand. Another analogy might be I am not sure what it is but I will know it when I see it. Now in all honesty I have never even thought about why I smoked or the pleasurable sensations by smoking but I will try. A feeling of relaxation, stress release, something to do while I try to focus my thoughts. I am not sure if there is a traditional pleasurable sensation I got from smoking. Thinking about it maybe I was the early programming  done by the tobacco companies psychiatrists in the marketing departments leading to a false sense of someone else's satisfaction   
01-05-2019 11:49 PM
Augie Offline

(01-05-2019 05:17 PM)paulS Wrote:  I am running a .13 ohm coil in my Dead Rabbit RTA at 39.8 watts and getting a perfect hit. The trick is to shut down your air to a very restricted setting. I'm using a 6 mg.

When I drip or use my big PWMs I'm vaping at 90+ watts with same type of coil and and a much bigger air flow with 3 mg juice.

BTW, I'm big fan of Aspire tanks. I use the Nautilus series as a rule. But the Atlantis is a fine tank if a bit dated. They do have an Atantis 2 though. They have released better. The Cleito 2 is very good and the new Nepho is great.
To me and my logic I would think that the coil has a greater effect on the hit unless you look at the 2 components as being a system Somehow I can't see engineering doing a new design when the old one still works well. You know the saying If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Or am I totally off base?
01-05-2019 11:57 PM
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

(01-05-2019 11:57 PM)Augie Wrote:  
(01-05-2019 05:17 PM)paulS Wrote:  I am running a .13 ohm coil in my Dead Rabbit RTA at 39.8 watts and getting a perfect hit. The trick is to shut down your air to a very restricted setting. I'm using a 6 mg.

To me and my logic I would think that the coil has a greater effect on the hit unless you look at the 2 components as being a system Somehow I can't see engineering doing a new design when the old one still works well. You know the saying If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Or am I totally off base?

You are off base. Using a regulated mod and a decent atty with multiple AFC adjustments you can really fine tune your vape. It is a system. Sure the coil matters but not as much as you might think. Not with an RTA. I use the same coil at 70 watts and 38 watts - with different vapes entirely.

02-05-2019 04:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Augie (05-02-2019)