Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Angry coils and more ...
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,264
Angry coils and more ...
So I get asked this a lot. Why do some coils crackle and pop so much on your RDA/RBA/RTA?

That is the juice heating up at high watts. The coil should heat up very quickly. When heat is high it is going to vaporize the juice at a volatile rate. You can reduce that crackle and pop though. The more wick inside a coil the less popping you will have. Spacing the coils will alleviate the popping. That is because there is less air to displace. The pre built coils need a lot of cotton to stop them from popping. Now all that said: it is the liquid quickly vaporising and so massively increasing its volume - the pop is caused by the displaced air. Pop = vaping goodness! I like ti hear the pop actually. I like angry coils.

You know we vape but many of us don't know much about the principles (myself included here).

You can measure the resistance with a mod or ohms reader without understanding resistance.
You can know that your battery is 4.2V max because it says so without understanding electric charge or electric potential energy.
You can know what's your battery's amp rating again because its listed (incorrectly often enough) without understanding electric current.
You can use a calculator and put the voltage and resistance in the calculator and see that it doesn't surpass or reach the amp rating but that does not make a build safe.
You can use steam engine to do all the work for you without understanding the principles.

My thoughts for the day. Beginners are going to build sub ohm coils without understanding what they are messing with. Fact. They could exceed safe levels for their batteries. Fact. This kind of scares me.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 02:43 PM by paulS.)
26-07-2016 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 9 users Like paulS's post:
bibliora (08-17-2016), BOB (07-26-2016), Don (07-26-2016), Fatboy (07-26-2016), Michael (08-06-2016), peter-k (08-07-2016), phlash (08-17-2016), stripe (03-13-2017), TinWhisker (08-06-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
RE: Angry coils and more ...
In my way of thinking below 0.3 ohms can very easily comes to unsafe territory, but everyone can use what he wants and if he blows himself, well ... another bad for vaping report on the web.

But we should not get tired highlighting the relevant points, and avoid promoting super low ohm coiling. It is possible to build beautiful working coils that are safe and are not something like 0.15 ohm.
07-08-2016 04:23 AM
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,264
RE: Angry coils and more ...
Here is part 11 --

Ohm's Law - http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
Batteries - take good care of your batteries and know them! Don't buy heap rewraps. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable sources:
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse" rating. Get those ratings from Mooch or Kidney Puncher. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog. You can google him.
Mod's with multiple batteries need to have married batteries.
Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and it is easy to re-wrap batteries. If you see ANY nicks or tears re-wrap.
Don't build stupidly low coils. A good build at .3 can chuck and get dense vape.
Single battery mod's are fine with .2 ohms on up IF you have LG, Sony or Samsung batteries.
Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery.
Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
Make sure you don't have any shorts. Check your coils are not touching the sides of the atty. Check for hot spots.
Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose.
Keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

So the quick and dirty check list for building guys.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
17-08-2016 10:31 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like paulS's post:
bibliora (09-05-2016), Don (08-18-2016), Fatboy (08-18-2016), Michael (08-18-2016), stripe (03-13-2017), Whiskeywarrior (11-26-2016)