Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
American Juicers
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
American Juicers
Im looking for someone that is in the US that would be willing to help me get into making e juices. Im interested in DIY.. wanting to be able to make my own, actually for my son and myself. I need to know where the more reputable suppliers are, and exactly what (and how much) equipment I will need. I am very safety concious.
I prefer fruit flavors, but am willing to experiment with anything other than tobacco flavors.

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
13-05-2014 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
vapejuiceuk (04-29-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,544
RE: American Juicers
It isn't hard. You'll need some basic equipment. I use syringes for measuring - but be sure to tape over the markings on the syringes first as both propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine will remove the markings quite quickly. Scotch Magic Tape works well for this.

You'll need some nicotine containing liquid - he strongest you can buy without permits is 100 milligrammes per ml - or 10% I believe (It's 75mg/ml or 7.5% here). You want pharmaceutical grade nicotine in either vegetable glycerine (VG) or propylene glycol (PG).

Remember that nicotine in any quantity is poisonous to the apparatus you use for mixing should never be used for anything else. Some measuring cylinders of suitable sizes (You aren't likely to need anything over 250ml (half a US pint) in capacity). Remember you are inhaling this so use pharmaceutical grade everything, sterilise your bottles and apparatusĀ (I boil them for ten minutes) carefully and keep your work area clean. I work in a hospital so may be being overly paranoid about this but far better safe than sorry.

Make sure that kids and pets can't get near your liquids. Especially sweet flavoured ones. Cats are less at risk than dogs as they can't taste sweet. dogs can. Nicotine is not nearly as toxic as some would have you believe (Officially 45-60mg of it will kill an adult human. This is nonsense - it takes more than 5 times that much potassium cyanide to do the trick and nicotine isn't close to as toxic.). However I do wear nitrile gloves when handling the nicotine concentrate. These are less porous to nicotine than latex ones, don't have the nasty allergens that latex does. And they're cheaper. I buy mine from my dentist in boxes of 100 at about 5 cents a pair.

As well as the nicotine you will need pharmaceutical grade vegetable glycerine (VG from now on) and propylene glycol (PG from now on). I get mine from eBay but our US members will be able to advise on where is best in the US. VG is very, very thick and is, in general a pain to handle. You can add up to 10% distilled water but I prefer not to. Most commercial liquids seem to be made up of 70% PG and 30% VG. I prefer at least 50% VG.

PG carries flavour better, but is harsher on the throat than VG. VG makes bigger clouds but tends to mute flavours some. The flavourings used are basically food flavourings but usually much more concentrated. Anything that contains dactyl or oils should not be vaped, so buy your flavour concentrates from people dealing with vapers. Again our US members can advise better than I can. The usual usage of flavouring is from 5-25% of the final mixture. These flavours are almost always dissolved in PG. A small amount of menthol crystals (I get mine from the local pharmacy) dissolved in PG is good for reducing any mix that didn't work right. 5g of menthol crystals dissolved in 10ml of PG and bottled can come in handy. A few drops of that can rescue some otherwise horrible mixes.

Beware that some flavourings, notably citrus and cinnamon ones, can attack plastic tanks. This is harmless to you, but having the tank fall apart is depressing and very hard to vape from afterwards. There are lists of tank cracking juices all over.

You might also want some ethyl maltitol dissolved in PG or sucralose dissolved in PG to sweeten the flavour of a juice. But you are using 2-5 drops per 10ml or the end result will be horrible.

You can use malic acid dissolved in PG to give a sour taste or add a bit of "fizz" to a mix. I don't know if you get my favourite candy, the fizzy cola bottle in the US, but the "fizz" in it is malic acid.

Use good concentrates and keep everything clean and you'll be able to turn out juices that suit your taste perfectly for a small fraction of the cost of good store-bought juices.

It's best to let juices stand for a while after mixing before using them as the flavours will blend and develop to an extent. If you still don't like it, a few drops of menthol solution and try it again Smile

It's actually easier than I've made it sound. Just keep everything away from kids and pets, and clean up all spills immediately and you'll be fine.

I used to be a chemist so I could grossly elaborate but you don't have to. If you happen to have access to lab glassware, I'd use it as it is obviously not food related and is usually pretty easy to clean (Till you've managed to weld some horrible gorp to the bottom of an Erlenmayer flask anyway). However, finding it for a sane price in lots of 1 is tricky. I've seen single beakers sold for not much less than the price of a box of 24.

But whatever you use for mixing and measuring should never be used for anything else. A range of glass syringes is good for measuring and they shouldn't be expensive. Unless they are controlled items in the US - they aren't here but attempts to buy them from pharmacies would make them think I was a heroin addict.

I know that 18sixfifty used to make and sell juices so hopefully he'll chime in. Since the nearest part of the US is about 3000 miles from here, I'm not an expert on the US situation.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-05-2014 02:19 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
18sixfifty (05-13-2014), vapejuiceuk (04-29-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
Some excellent and thorough advice from Don there!

There's also another alternative and that's to buy premade professional juice with extra flavour shots and mix that down.

For example:

If you bought 30ml of 100% PG (5mg/ml) juice from Mt Baker Vapor with extra flavour shots
then add 30ml of VG to that

You'll end up with 60ml of 50/50 PG/VG and 2.5mg/ml of Nicotine. The flavour will be halfed but with the extra initial flavour shots it should still be strong in the flavour dept

JohnnyMac is a flavour junkie with e-juice and he says it's absolutely fine Smile
13-05-2014 02:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (04-29-2016)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Some great advice from Don. I would say he pretty much has it covered. especially on the safety end.

Just a few more simple things to add in. There are a bunch of e-juice calculators around that are helpful. Also keep track of exactly what you mix, a short pencil is better than a long memory. Sometimes you will find that a juice that you made a month ago and didn't like ends up being your favorite when it's had a chance to steep a bit. Then just try and figure out how you made it if you haven't written it down!! Also start SMALL 10mm bottles are a good place to start. Start with them and don't bother mixing large amounts of anything until you know that you like it. I can't even tell you the number of bottles of juice I have tossed out making goofy concoctions hoping to find one that I fall in love with.

Wizard labs is a great place to get your nicotine at least it's many people's favorite.

https://wizardlabs.us/

Unfortunately my old supplier just changed his flavorings around so I'm also looking for a new supplier for them. I have actually been in a rather lousy mood lately because for the first time in years I am out of my favorite juice and have not been able to replicate it. It's also the first time that I have had to go out and buy flavorings or even nic is a very long time. So I'm feeling like a bit of a noob myself in that regard.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions. That is what we are here for. Welcome aboard and vape on!

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
13-05-2014 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
Galaxyrider (10-12-2014), vapejuiceuk (04-29-2016)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(13-05-2014 06:02 PM)18sixfifty Wrote:  Some great advice from Don. I would say he pretty much has it covered. especially on the safety end.

Just a few more simple things to add in. There are a bunch of e-juice calculators around that are helpful. Also keep track of exactly what you mix, a short pencil is better than a long memory. Sometimes you will find that a juice that you made a month ago and didn't like ends up being your favorite when it's had a chance to steep a bit. Then just try and figure out how you made it if you haven't written it down!! Also start SMALL 10mm bottles are a good place to start. Start with them and don't bother mixing large amounts of anything until you know that you like it. I can't even tell you the number of bottles of juice I have tossed out making goofy concoctions hoping to find one that I fall in love with.

Wizard labs is a great place to get your nicotine at least it's many people's favorite.

https://wizardlabs.us/

Unfortunately my old supplier just changed his flavorings around so I'm also looking for a new supplier for them. I have actually been in a rather lousy mood lately because for the first time in years I am out of my favorite juice and have not been able to replicate it. It's also the first time that I have had to go out and buy flavorings or even nic is a very long time. So I'm feeling like a bit of a noob myself in that regard.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions. That is what we are here for. Welcome aboard and vape on!
I see that you and I share the same supplier for PG & VG, If you're still having a flavor quandary, let me suggest One Stop DIY, Ive delt with them as much as Ive dealt with Wizard, and have found them to be every bit the service and satisfaction motivated supplier that Wizard is, with the exception that the selection of flavors from One Stop DIY comes in larger portions. Give them a try, I think you'll be pleased.
http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
12-10-2014 10:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
vapejuiceuk (04-29-2016)