Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Amazon Dash Buttons??
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
Amazon Dash Buttons??
Ok, let me preface this tirade by saying I’m NOT a technophobe or antiestablishment; I don’t live in a remote cabin in the woods far from civilization where I hunt my own vegetables, grown my own meat and whittle my clothes out of wood; I have written a manifesto, but I’m my own worst critic, so it’ll never see the desk of any local politicians.

But, I admit that I cringe at some of the modern conveniences we’ve invested time, resources and efforts into. The latest are these new “dash” buttons Amazon has on offer. For those who don’t know, they’re actual physical, product-specific buttons that are electronically linked to your Amazon account which you can stick near places of consumption around your house which automatically re-order said product when pressed, i.e.: you stick one for “Tide” detergent on your washer, so when you pick up the bottle and realize it’s almost empty, you press the little dash button and more Tide detergent shows up at your doorstep a day or two later. First World problems much?!? At some point, we’re going to “convenience” ourselves into complete and total physical and mental atrophy. I used to think the movie “Idiocracy” was funny sci-fi social commentary; now, I fear it’s a premonition of an all but guaranteed future…

This is a conversation I recently had with a person I KNOW is going to be all over these Dash Buttons:

Her: “I bought these shoes online and had to return them 3 times before they got the size right!”

Me: “So why don’t you just go to the store where you can try them on before you buy them?”

Her: “Because going to the store is such a hassle! The parking, the crowds; it’s just so much more convenient to buy online.”

Me: “So, how long does it take when you have to return something?”

Her: “Only a couple of days.”

Me: “So, assuming each of those 3 times was a few days: 2 days to get to you, 2 to get it back to them and another 2 to get the replacement back to you, it took you 2 WEEKS to get the right pair of shoes online versus a few MINUTES in the store?”

Her: “Yeah, something like that.”

Me: “Sounds REALLY convenient.”

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
16-02-2016 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Xprimentyl's post:
Almost Jaded (02-16-2016), Don (02-16-2016), Michael (02-16-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Amazon Dash Buttons??
I agree, mate. It's convenient to buy some things online, but honestly for most things I'd rather go to a store and have it in my hand rather than wait for shipping. But those buttons... The worst part is, you can't even replace the battery in them, they're only for one product, and you actually have to buy them. So basically you're buying a disposable button that lets you buy one other thing, and only that one thing. It's just insane. I understand buying things online if you can't get them in a local store, or if they're way cheaper online or something. But this whole movement toward "buy everything online and never have to get off your lazy ass" is just insane. 
16-02-2016 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Xprimentyl (02-16-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Why the hell does your friend need new shoes if she's just shopping from her desk? Tongue
16-02-2016 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
ecignut (02-16-2016), Xprimentyl (02-16-2016)
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
(16-02-2016 04:54 PM)Michael Wrote:  I agree, mate. It's convenient to buy some things online, but honestly for most things I'd rather go to a store and have it in my hand rather than wait for shipping. But those buttons... The worst part is, you can't even replace the battery in them, they're only for one product, and you actually have to buy them. So basically you're buying a disposable button that lets you buy one other thing, and only that one thing. It's just insane. I understand buying things online if you can't get them in a local store, or if they're way cheaper online or something. But this whole movement toward "buy everything online and never have to get off your lazy ass" is just insane. 

I hit the "Like" button 12 times, but it only took once, but rest assured, truer words have never been spoken!Clapping I didn't do enough research to find those details out, but that only makes the inanity of the concept even more apparent.

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
16-02-2016 04:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Xprimentyl's post:
Almost Jaded (02-16-2016), Michael (02-16-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Yeah, I listen to a lot of podcasts, one of them is called "This Week In Tech" and there was an episode a month or two ago when the Dash was first released where they went into detail on the absurdity of the concept. It's just unbelievable, I would have thought it was a hoax if I hadn't looked it up. 
16-02-2016 05:11 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (02-16-2016), Xprimentyl (02-16-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,392
I actually don't agree with you guys. I'm not exactly half-human half-cyborg, but I do think these little conveniences are pretty cool. I also own the Amazon Echo, and it can do a million things with voice command and I think that's swell. Dash buttons are super cool to me. I don't fear the machines of the future.
16-02-2016 05:14 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,961
Smile RE: Amazon Dash Buttons??
(16-02-2016 04:54 PM)Michael Wrote:  Why the hell does your friend need new shoes if she's just shopping from her desk? Tongue
You really are in good form Michael - married life must agree with you[Image: smile.gif].
16-02-2016 05:16 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
Michael (02-16-2016)
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,730
HP printers do much the same if you let them. They will quite happily order ink at full RRP for you online. Firewalls are a good thing.

Besides I drive past a large supermarket on the way home from work every day. No buttons to buy, no unobtainium batteries to replace and no giving Jeff Bezos any extra money. What's not to like? Smile

I also am not stuck with one supplier. Whose prices may, or may not be great. 

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
16-02-2016 05:19 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
Almost Jaded (02-16-2016), ecignut (02-16-2016), Xprimentyl (02-16-2016)
ecignut Offline
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,961
I am surprised at you TW - I take it you have a 'convenience thing' to press the firing button on your mod. and does it just come to you when you want to vape[Image: smile.gif].
16-02-2016 05:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
TinWhisker (02-16-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,392
They'll gladly give you the button pro bono. Anyway, I can manage lights, the garage door opener, the thermostat, monitor my house via HD video, and even unlock my front door from anywhere. For an old fart like me that never even had a TV with a remote control as a kid, this is a fun world to be in.
16-02-2016 05:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (02-16-2016)