Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice titanium wire need some advice guys and gals
jakejohnson1235 Offline

Likes Given: 0
titanium wire need some advice guys and gals
hey guys. ive been vaping for a while probably like 2 years and ive been sub ohm vaping for about a year i know ohms law and all that kind of stuff but ive been getting bored with nichrome and kanthal the flavor isnt that great but i get pretty good sized clouds i have the raptor t6 copper authentic with the stro mini rda authentic copper and i was looking everywhere for new wires to try and i dont know to much about temp contol but i dont want a temp contol device and i obviously cant use nickel cause its crazy low resistance but ive been reading up on titanium and almost everyone says its only for temp contol but on spydersliks website it says that it can be used on mech mods so if i do a single coil of titanium in the middle of my stro with alot of wraps it should be safe to use right? i know i cant make the wire oxidize because then it gives off bad chemicals but if i build it barley fire it just to get the coils to look good (not like a orange just very light) then wick it up and juice it will it be okay to use? the resistance isnt to crazy low and i have a reader so i can check it but i would like facts and someone who knows about mechs and temp contol. 
thanks 
also i only use samsung 25r or sony vtc4 authentic 
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 03:13 PM by jakejohnson1235.)
27-10-2015 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,850
RE: titanium wire need some advice guys and gals
It wouldn't be wise to use titanium in something that didn't limit temperature. It can and will burn violently (Think magnesium metal) if heated to red heat. Which will produce clouds of titanium dioxide which is a suspected carcinogen. 

Also metal fires are hard to put out.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
27-10-2015 05:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
JEFF (10-27-2015)
jakejohnson1235 Offline

does the resistance change when the coils heat up? or is it always pretty consistent 
27-10-2015 05:38 PM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,850
There is a resistance rise with temperature in common with just about every metal. It is bigger with titanium than stainless steel but (If I remember correctly which I may not) less of a rise in resistance than with nickel.

Inspect titanium and nickel coils carefully after use - if there is any discolouration it is a very good idea to change the coils.

Titanium is a very hard metal so it is trickier to coil than Kanthal.

Oh and

Hello and welcome Jake!

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
27-10-2015 06:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
JEFF (10-27-2015)
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
I use Titanium ONLY in Temperature limiting mods. It works great but I would not use it in anything that does not do temperature limiting. I use Nichrome in my mechanical.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
28-10-2015 12:04 AM
jakejohnson1235 Offline

alright thanks guys and i just got the stro mini rda today.. bad choice it looked really nice and was authentic but it shorted out without it even having a build in it so i looked on the inside of it and the machinery was all messed up the center positive post was hitting the negitve wall causing the short it also fused to the negitve wall when it shorted so i spent a few hours thinking and I figured out that i could drill though and add more insulation inside the 510 so it wouldnt hit the negitve but i dont think it will last very long.. i liked the concept of the rda alot tho just needs to be made better
28-10-2015 12:34 AM