Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice needed for new mod.
Wake'nVape Offline

Likes Given: 1
Advice needed for new mod.
Hi all, 

Recently quit smoking since I picked up an iStick 100w with atlantis 2 tank. I knew literally nothing about vaping when I got this, and simply wanted something to get me off the cigs, the guy at my local vape shop clearly didn't have a clue since this is the device he recommended Big Grin

Don't get me wrong, I really like sub-ohming, it produces amazing flavour and vape but I can't help thinking this isn't the best way to go about quitting smoking. I'm using 6mg strength nic and end up vaping about 2 tanks of juice a day. I will still use this on occasion so it's not like it was a total waste of money..

I'm really looking for something that is similar to smoking a cigarette to vape all day, something I can use a higher strength nic with that produces decent vapour and flavour and most importantly something I can mouth to lung hit and get that throat hit you get from cigs. One that i've been looking at is the aspire premium kit with the nautilus tank, all the reviews I can find seem v good but thaught I would post here to see any other suggestions. FWIW the 'starter kits' they seem to sell everywhere are nothing like what i'm looking for, the vapour seems almost non-existant and they all seem abit harsh.

If I were to get something like the aspire kit previously mentioned what kind of nicotine level should I look at getting as someone who smoked about 20 roll ups a day? I take it the juice would have to be a higher pg to vg ratio as oppose to the high vg juices I currently have?

Thanks
28-10-2015 06:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,195
RE: Advice needed for new mod.
The Nautilus is exactly what I thought of when you mentioned the mouth to lung desire. You can crank down that airflow to very much get that smoking pull. As for nic, I don't know. You'll probably have to experiment a bit. I was a pack a day smoker and I was fine with the Nautilus and 6mg juice, even 3mg. Some people definitely need more. I don't think you can get a generically correct answer without experimenting. My brother in law tried at 6mg because I did, but went up to 24mg!!! because 6 wasn't cutting it. Even with that he wasn;t satisfied and left vaping for smoking.
28-10-2015 06:46 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

By the way, yeah, step down from that 100w mod if you're looking for a tight draw tank like the Nautilus. I use either a Tesla Sidewinder II 2200mAh pen style mod or a Sigelei Mini 30w box. Both work great at low wattages.
28-10-2015 06:51 PM
Wake'nVape Offline

https://www.ukecigstore.com/aspire-nauti...oduct-tabs

It comes as a package, you think this is the kind of thing i'm looking for?
28-10-2015 06:55 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

I'm not really a fan of kits, mainly because I like to pick and choose my various parts and pieces. Another thing- may just be personal preference- is that 1000mAh battery they paired it with, blah. For me, I like it to last longer. And again, with personal preference in mind, I really do prefer the mods with swap-able 18650 cells. Not only is it easy to get a few extra cells so you always have a freshie waiting in the wings, but also those cells can be swapped in to a different mod. And with that iStick 100w, you already have two 18650 cells you can swap right into a mod like the Sigelei mini 30w (it takes one cell, so you'd already have a spare cell). Plus, the Sigelei has a micro USB port for charging, so you can use your existing charger for it too. Just thinking out loud here.

There are obviously many other choices besides what we've mentioned here. Others will chime in with their preferences and recommendations too.

And one other thing. The Sigelei I mentioned has a VERY small footprint, It is a small mod, if that matters to you.
28-10-2015 07:04 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
FWIW - you aren't going to get "more nicotine".  6 mg juice in the 25-30w range is gonna be more satisfying than 12 or 18 at 8-10 watts.  I may be out on a limb here, but I would recommend sticking with the Atlantis.  Learn to love the lung hits and spend a week adjusting to vaping.  Note - some people really do prefer the lower power and tighter draw, so maybe that's you - but the VAST majority of people like the bigger hits very quickly. 

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
28-10-2015 07:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
JEFF (10-28-2015)
JEFF Offline

Likes Given: 732
I was a two pack per day smoker and started vaping on a Cherry Bomber (mech box mod) and Aspire Triton (sub-ohm .4 coils). I switched up to a regulated box mod by going to the Eleaf iStick 100W, while still using the Aspire Triton tank (sub-ohm .4 and .3 coils). With both mods I was using 6mg/ml nicotine and taking mouth to lung hits. Obviously everyone is different. Are you using the .3 coil head at 70-80W or the .5 coil head at 20-30W with your Atlantis 2?
28-10-2015 08:26 PM
Wake'nVape Offline

I'm using the .5 coil at the moment at 40w (anything lower doesnt work well with the high vg juice) and have a replacement 1ohm coil pack on order for 40-50w. I really do enjoy using it but I get through a decent amount of juice and feels like i'm hitting a bong rather than having a few puffs of a cig, maybe I could get a better tank for mouth to lung as the drip tip is so big on the atlantis? 
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 08:36 PM by Wake'nVape.)
28-10-2015 08:34 PM
JEFF Offline

Likes Given: 732
Try running it between 20-30W as recommended and opening all the air flow channels on the tank. The higher your wattage is set at, the faster your eJuice is used and the quicker your tank gets warm/hot. Regardless of coils Ω, wattage/voltage setting or airflow setting I have yet to take a simple cigarette like "puff", but if you are really having to hit that thing then open up the air flow.
28-10-2015 09:02 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,889
I think the Nautilus on the istick 20W would be ideal - not expensive, runs on low power - 8 to 9W and you vape it the same way as you smoke a cig. I keep repeating this often on this forum that you do not need lots of power to vape - especially when just starting. Too many people jump into sub ohming immediately - not a good idea. Walk before you run.
28-10-2015 09:11 PM