Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice Trying to beat tobacco
Smokin' Dave Offline

Likes Given: 15
Trying to beat tobacco
First off I'm a 40 year smoker that has dabbled in vaping with little success in the past.Today I received simultaneously my Zample gold box and a Kanger drip box.Excited I set up the Kanger with a what I hoped to be a great tasting juice filled the squeeze bottle primed the wicks and fired the sucker up.I could not even get half a mouth hit down without coughing my lungs out.The vapour just grabs my lungs and sends me into a coughing frenzy. It's just not happening.The juice tastes like shit and not even close to what a banana pie is supposed to taste like.It actually has a burning taste and I know it's something I'm doing wrong.That's why I'm here to seek out some expert guidance.In the past with my limited vaping experience this was not the problem.I was using an ejoy vapor pen that had limited vapor output but a nice taste.I used that thing for 8 months without smoking cigarettes but it kept leaking and puking in my mouth and finally ended up throwing it across the room and went back to cigs.I ordered the Zample box with 18mg nicotine rating and maybe that's what's wrong.I dunno.I obviously need some help with this thing and that's why I'm here.To ask the experts.I just want to quit smoking tobacco for good.
21-04-2016 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
I'm incorrigible
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,052
RE: Trying to beat tobacco
First off the atty on the Drip box is crap. The mod itself is not too bad. Its a twofold issue. The problem lies with the placement of the coils and the air flow to the atty. The air slots are placed very high and the air flow is way too much. So if you want to use the mod get a different atty. Your next issue could be wicking and cotton. Often enough the first few pulls on a new atty have a cottony taste. It takes a few pulls to berak it in if you have never used an RDA before. Also this is a mech mod. So get an atty that is better and build it higher - that is to say .9 ohm coils until you are used to the watt power. The higher you build the easier it will be when just starting out.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
21-04-2016 11:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
gentlydoingit* (04-21-2016), Smokin' Dave (04-21-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,221
(21-04-2016 11:57 AM)paulS Wrote:  First off the atty on the Drip box is crap.
Actual lol

All of what paul said. It sounds like too much power on poor wicking. 
What power, coil, resistance, juice are you using?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
21-04-2016 12:22 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,221
Dripping 18mg!? Wow! That's your problem right there. Try a 3-6mg juice, see if that helps

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
21-04-2016 12:24 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Michael (04-21-2016), Ryan (04-22-2016), TinWhisker (04-21-2016)
Smokin' Dave Offline

Good info.I will shop around for a compatible atty.I mean the juice shoots up from the bottom when you squeeze the juice tube which is great for driving.I drive a lot,shift gears all that crap.As far as the nicotine level I thought that since my old fave Halo juice was rated at 24 mg I would be lightening up a bit at 18mg.Maybe I'll go lower.Don't know yet but what I do know for sure is that I just can't hit this thing as it stands right now.

I'm not looking to compete with producing massive vape clouds,I just want a strong satisfying  hit comparable to a cigarette with the added bonus of some great tasting flavor.

Thanks for the guidance folks and I am going get this vape thing restarted in my life and give up tobacco forever.
By the way I'm just using what was included with what Kangertech included in the box
0.2Ohm coil
3.7 voltage output
60w power output

(This post was last modified: 21-04-2016 04:26 PM by Smokin' Dave.)
21-04-2016 04:16 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,297
All of the above is good input.  You should 'tune" your nicotine to your power level - 18 mg is fine at 5-7 watts, but pretty hard to inhale at 50.  And you get just as much nic vaping 6 mg at 30 watts as 18 at 7.

Also note - you WILL cough at first.  Vapor has a different density and "feel" than cigarette smoke.  And as time goes by, the cilia in your bronchial tubes start to recover, and they aren't too hap[py abuot what you've been doing to them all these years.

I'm surprised you went back after 8 months.  Most people I know can't stand even the thought of a cigarette after 2 months vaping!

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
21-04-2016 04:18 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-21-2016), Smokin' Dave (04-21-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,855
Honestly, 18mg is far too much nicotine to have a smooth vape with that setup. Nicotine has a harsh peppery taste that can be overpowering at higher levels like that, especially doing DL. Try a small bottle (less expensive) at 6 or even 3mg; you'll be amazed.
21-04-2016 04:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Smokin' Dave (04-21-2016)
Smokin' Dave Offline

Yeah well I went back to cigs because I thought that vape equipment would get better over time and boy it sure has.Now I'm way behind the times.The other thing was that I just really dig the taste smell and action of smoking cigs.Always have but now it's time for a change and my way of thinking about my habit.
I knew that restarting vaping would induce some coughing but I wasn't really prepared for total lung lockup and rejection.
My next Zamplebox I will request a lower nicotine level and probably just  ask for VG instead of a 50/50 blend.
(This post was last modified: 21-04-2016 04:41 PM by Smokin' Dave.)
21-04-2016 04:40 PM
phlash Offline

Likes Given: 264
Hi, Dave. I'm pretty new to this site, but I've been vaping since 2010. We all want you to quit the coffin nails too, so don't worry, we will not mislead you. All these guys are exactly right, you do have some problems. First off your nic level is way too high for a dripper, you can get just as much satisfaction at 3 or 6 mg, just like they said. And also, I agree with paulS about that kanger atty. It is pretty useless. I know, I used to have one. Your setup is what's known as a squonker. They all have an inherent problem, in my case it was misfires. They are bad to leak juice at the 510 connection, right where the atty screws into the mod and the juice passes through when you squeeze the bottle, causing it to misfire. Switching to an rta type atty will solve that problem, but will disable your squeeze bottle. Or you could stick with an rda, just make sure it fits and comes with a 510 squonk adapter. The mod itself is not that bad, not too much voltage drop.

About Zample. I have read several not so good reviews about them, about people not getting what they asked for and being scammed in general. Personally I don't use sample services, so I couldn't really say, but there several of these sites to choose from, use your own judgement.

One last thing. You need to leave at least a little pg in your mix.It's a solvent, or mixing agent. It is responsible for the good throat hit many of us strive for, plus it allows the flavors and nic to blend. And Vg gives you the big, fluffy clouds. An 80\20 vg\pg mix would be a good starting point. 

Hope this helps.
21-04-2016 08:25 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like phlash's post:
Almost Jaded (04-22-2016), BOB (04-22-2016), peter-k (04-21-2016), Spasmod (04-22-2016)