Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice Rebuilding Q&A
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,359
Question Rebuilding Q&A
I'm really new to rebuildable mods, and I thought it might help others like me if we had a Q&A thread here for beginners who are having problems getting started, or veterans who just want to know some more about RBAs. I have a few questions about rebuilding that I was hoping you guys could help me with, and anyone else is welcome to post your own questions here. 

My questions:

1) why is my vape popping so much? I wouldn't mind that much, except that I use a very wide drip tip, so it has begun popping hot liquid straight into my mouth. I just rebuilt my Kayfun to a lower resistance as I'm playing around to find out what I like, so maybe it's just too hot for the liquid I'm using? 

2) is it better to build small diameter coils or larger? I've seen suggestions for coils made 1.5mm, 2.5mm, or larger, and I'm not sure why it makes a difference. 

3) how are dual coil builds different from single coils? I mean obviously there's an extra coil there, but why? How does it affect the vape? 

4) this might make me sound completely stupid and inexperienced (which I am, honestly) but why do RBAs hit so much harder than simple clearos? I used to vape 18mg juice but since I got my RBA I find that even 6mg or 9mg feels like way too much. 

I guess the main reason I'm asking this all in one post is because I'm quickly finding out that there's a lot I don't know about all this, and I really want to understand what makes RBAs work and how to make the most of mine. Any help would be great. Thanks! 
14-09-2014 07:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,999
RE: Rebuilding Q&A
1. Popping is generally considered a good sign although if it's excessive like yours could be, using a slightly thicker guage wire will help as it takes a little longer to heat up. The popping itself happens due to the rapid heating of cold ejuice. You should find it subsides once the juice and deck has warmed a bit from vaping.

2. Coil diameter has more to do with your intended final ohms outcome than anything else (well in my opinion anyhow) you may often find if you're using thicker gauge wire that your coils will literally be too wide in certain applications to align properly or even avoid shorting on the deck walls. This is where a bigger diameter coil can give you the same ohms while not being so wide.

Another thing to note though is wicking potential. You'll generally find that a smaller diameter, wider coil will produce more vapour but the side effect of that is poor wicking and dry hits if you hit too low in the ohms. There's the cotton pillow technique where you rest the coils on top of a pillow of cotton but I've personally never found that works too well (others will disagree).

3. Single vs multiple coils is a weird one, my experience tells me that dual coils will give more vapour production than it's single coil counterpart, flavour and throat hit though.. the jury is out on that one. I actually prefer single coils myself most notably Parallel coils for the best vapour production and twisted coils for the best flavour production.

4. RBA's and RDA's hit harder simply because they're running bigger, lower ohm coils for the most part so therefore produce more dense vapour. You should find that it you put a 1.8 ohm coil on a Kayfun vs a 1.8 ohm clearo that the vape will be pretty much the same, if not actually cooler on the Kayfun at the same power (due to design factors you'll notice other subtle differences) You'll quickly develop a Nic rush and/or headache though when vaping on the device at higher power levels, hence why cloud chasers generally vape between 0-3mg ejuice.

Hopefully some of that helps. Others may disagree but those are my thoughts from my own vaping experience so far Good
14-09-2014 12:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful stuff. 

I thought that popping was a good thing too... Until it started doing it so bad that it burned me with hot juice. I recently rebuilt my coil to .5 ohms and used organic cotton instead of rayon like I usually do, so maybe that has something to do with it... Guess I'll have to play around and test different things.

I don't really care that much about throat hit. I mostly want the nicotine and the flavor, throat hit is secondary. Actually, my favorite vape has hardly any throat hit because it's 100% VG. 
14-09-2014 03:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I find running at .5ohms or lower, the last thing you want the juice doing is adding throat hit.

Airflow is another important factor, most tanks dont have enough, at least for me.

One top tip from me is find a vertex clone. They are available, I recoiled mine on Friday and the combination of clouds, runtime between dripping and flavour mean I've not put the damned thing down. Its running at .32ohm using .5a1 kanthal, 8 wraps around a blue handled clone screwdriver dual coil.

The orings fit really well, forget adjusting airflow on the fly, or it adjusting itself or pulling the cap off to drip. Its also remarkably leak free from todays use.

Another one to look at is the veritas. Its a great design and gives very very satisfying results at .7ohm single coil (those that know me will know just how significant that is...) the veritas is definitely one to look at.
14-09-2014 08:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into those. I'm trying to stick with clones that my local vape shop has in store, since I don't want to wait for the mail lol. But I realized there's several vape shops near me besides Mountain Oak Vapors  (my favorite) so I'll see if they have either of those. 

I used organic cotton for the wick when I went down to the .5 ohm build, so today I went back to rayon to see if that made a difference. I had never used cotton before, and I'm more used to the rayon. Long story short, it's now barely popping, acting like a vape should. So I must have done the cotton wrong or something. I only got the cotton because any place that sells rayon was closed when I got off work, but I really think the rayon is much better. I don't think I like the lower ohm as well as the .9 ohm build that I had before, but at least now I know what was wrong. 

Next adventure will be to build a dual coil. I think my Kayfun can handle dual coil builds, I'll have to check out builds on YouTube to verify. If not I'll get myself a drip to play with. 

I just found a really great looking tutorial for a dual coil Kayfun HERE. Before I go all in and try it out, do you guys have any suggestions for a better way to build it? This will be my first dual coil build and I don't want to screw up my Kayfun or my mod. 
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 09:29 PM by Michael.)
14-09-2014 09:03 PM
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,707
I'd not go below around 0.5 ohms in a Kayfun unless you have spare insulators lying around. As I remember you do, so go wild!

I'm a great fan of silica wicks - they work well for me and get used in most things, even drippers.

My first ever rayon build is in a Fogger 4.1 just now and it works just fine but will probably get replaced with heavier wire coils and silica when the wire and new screws (I lost 2 building the Fogger) arrive next week. The new screws will solve quite a lot of Fogger build problems - the thing is good at squirting out the wire from under the screw. The cap head screws the postman is bringing me should be a permeant cure for this problem.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
14-09-2014 10:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,057
have a look at rip trippers dual nanno coil build on you tube
I haven't tried it myself
I use my kayfun between 0.8 and 1.2 ohms
although mine is the early one without adjustable airflow
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 10:31 PM by BOB.)
14-09-2014 10:30 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like BOB's post:
Don (09-14-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

I just got a Patriot Clone dual coil today and OH MY WORD SO MUCH VAPE. It's at .35 ohms, which is super low for me, but I think it's basically just like two .7 ohm coils putting out double vape. I'm not sure exactly how or why it works but my god, that thing is a fog machine. 
15-09-2014 10:34 PM
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,999
Sounds great Michael but remember Safety is key! which cells are you using currently?
16-09-2014 11:07 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Depending on the mod, I'm using an Orbtronic 18650 sx30 ultra high drain that says "3.7V 2100mAh", or an Efest IMR 18650 that says "2500mAh,discharge current 35A." I'm not sure what all those numbers mean but the batteries seem to be doing great. 
16-09-2014 03:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Spasmod (09-17-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-11-2016)