Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice New vaper problem: Nothing tastes like it smells, everything tastes bad. Help!
klopus Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sad New vaper problem: Nothing tastes like it smells, everything tastes bad. Help!
Hi guys! I’m new to vaping so please bear with me. Here’s’ my background: smoked many years, couple of months ago decided to quit by way of vaping. Started with V2 e-cigs – hard to draw, little vapor, tastes harsh and same no matter the cartridge. Educated myself a little and decided to go sub-ohm bypassing MTL. Bought Kanger Nebox kit, big mistake – leaks like crazy, built-in tank hard to clean, spits back, everything tastes burnt, quickly gave up on it. Decided to get something real simple but with VW  and a separate tank. Got Halo Tracer Twiser kit – this one also leaked but its major undoing was low 30W wattage, every juice I tried was tasteless at best. Finally I graduated to eLeaf iStick Pico 75 TC with a Melo III tank. This one I really love – no leaks, small, ergonomic, easy to fill, nice airflow control, great selection of coils, VW/TC, etc. I tried few e-liquids staying with 70/30 VG/PG and 3mg nic. Vaped all of them on different wattages, different coil material (SS, Ni, TI) in different resistance (0.15-0.5). I found that I like open airflow with reasonable amount of warm vapor which to me usually means 40-50W and 0.3-0.5ohm coils.

But my BIG problem is that I can’t find juice that tastes like it smells or just simply tastes good! None of the juices I tried come even close to mouthwatering descriptions on labels or complex descriptions of connoisseurs in reviews that sound like when you vape you’re eating “custard pie with notes of glazed sugar and a hint of cinnamon”. All of what I tried so far smell much nicer than they taste. I always get that metal or plastic taste on exhale and dryness in aftertaste. On inhale there’s either harshness and artificial bitterness or no taste at all. The only liquid I came close to enjoying relative to awful others was Liquid Nation De La Crème, but it’s very hard to find and still leaves this metal after taste. Next best thing was Halo Cocoa but that’s not saying much – there’s cocoa taste in equal proportion with scratchy plastic or something. Rest of them (Halo Black Calico, Mad Hatter Mother Milk, G2 Vapor Drunk Monkey, Evo Cryptic Blast) were just awful – most smell nice, especially Black Calico, but all taste quite similar to each other and almost nothing like how they smell or described.

I can see that potentially with vaping I can totally quit cigarettes, but not unless I find something that’s not disgusting and doesn’t have these common to all juices I tried harsh artificial notes. Maybe I’m expecting too much? Maybe something wrong with my taste buds (but I smell and taste food totally fine and actually enjoy haute cuisine)? Maybe my kit is broken?

Thanks a lot for help!

01-12-2016 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,466
RE: New vaper problem: Nothing tastes like it smells, everything tastes bad. Help!
Hi and welcome klopus!

The metallic taste may indicate an intolerance to something in the juices, possibly to propylene glycol.

Where in the US are you?

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
01-12-2016 09:54 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,546
RE: New vaper problem: Nothing tastes like it smells, everything tastes bad. Help!
Welcome to TVF klotus.

Assuming you have a new coil and the problem isn't the coil...what wattage are you vaping at?
01-12-2016 10:00 PM
klopus Offline

(01-12-2016 09:54 PM)Don Wrote:  Hi and welcome klopus!

The metallic taste may indicate an intolerance to something in the juices, possibly to propylene glycol.

Where in the US are you?
Thanks Don. I'm in NYC. But I use high VG juices so shouldn't be intolerance to PG, no?
01-12-2016 10:07 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,466
Most likely not then.

They may be too thick for the coils/wicks you are using. Try some 50:50 or up to 70%PG juices to see if they work better. With new wicks as the existing ones may well be burnt.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
01-12-2016 10:11 PM
klopus Offline

(01-12-2016 10:00 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  Welcome to TVF klotus.

Assuming you have a new coil and the problem isn't the coil...what wattage are you vaping at?
Thanks. When switching juice I always clean the tank and change to fresh coil so not to contaminate the taste. With every juice I tried different wattage from 25W to 60W and usually find that 35-40W with 0.3-0.5ohm coils is least disgusting. Lower than that and there's no taste at all, higher - bitterness increases.

So, are you all guys with your fav juices feel all these wonderful rich natural taste as described?
01-12-2016 10:13 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,546
klotus, taste is subjective, not only between different people but even yourself as time passes. I've had some flavours that I loved in the beginning and now can't stand and visa versa - vaping, specially with former smokers is a journey that never ends.

have you tried the full spectrum of juices between tangy, sweet, fruity, desserts, etc? When I started I was only vaping tobacco flavours and hated the fruity stuff, then went into the custards and desserts, then the minty stuff, etc....don't give up, you'll find something that suits you - only needs to serve its purpose for now, next month is a new year and new things to try.... Smile
01-12-2016 10:33 PM
klopus Offline

(01-12-2016 10:33 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  klotus, taste is subjective, not only between different people but even yourself as time passes. I've had some flavours that I loved in the beginning and now can't stand and visa versa - vaping, specially with former smokers is a journey that never ends.

have you tried the full spectrum of juices between tangy, sweet, fruity, desserts, etc? When I started I was only vaping tobacco flavours and hated the fruity stuff, then went into the custards and desserts, then the minty stuff, etc....don't give up, you'll find something that suits you - only needs to serve its purpose for now, next month is a new year and new things to try.... Smile
Thanks for encouragement! I hated tobacco, fruity (especially banana), liquor and mint from the onset. It seems that I prefer sweet and creamy stuff with loaded flavor. Will keep looking. Maybe will try PG heavier juice and MTL.
01-12-2016 11:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes klopus's post:
Fatboy (12-02-2016)
Atavar Offline

As a relatively new vaper myself (and sure to draw flames from the crowd) I am going to suggest getting coils you can TC with and trying those.  
I am a flavor chaser and couldn't care less about clouds. 
Temperature control brings me a hugely more controllable and repeatable flavor than Power Control does because it more precisely controls the temperature of the coils that are immersed in the juice.  It also has the advantage that your coils and batteries will last significantly longer. 
When you purchase your juice do mention that you chase flavor and not cloud and it may affect the suggestions the salesperson offers you.  
01-12-2016 11:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Atavar's post:
Fatboy (12-02-2016), Nitros (12-02-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
No flames from us, Avatar Smile I'm not a big fan of tc, but it works for some people.

Klopus,how long have you been vaping? For most people, it takes quite a while for your taste buds to recover from smoking. I recall one of our members, bibliora, had a period of several months where everything tasted bad until one day her taste buds finally started working again. We don't realize how bad our taste gets screwed up by smoking since it happens gradually, but smoking really screws up your taste buds bad and it might take a while for them to heal/renew. 

As for favorite juices to try, I'm a huge fan of Charlie Noble juices, especially Charlie's Custard. There's also a company called One Hit Wonder that makes really good juice, especially Muffin Man. You might want to try those if you can. I know they used to sell online, I'm not sure if they still do. Mountain Oak Vapors is another good brand (they're actually made just down the street from where I live) and they've got some great flavors too, though they also have a few bad ones. 
02-12-2016 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (12-03-2016), ecignut (12-02-2016)