Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice New Vaper Fighting His Coils - HELP!
zacclague95 Offline

Likes Given: 7
RE: New Vaper Fighting His Coils - HELP!
I run a simple 5wrap on my Excalibur that ohms out to .05 for my cloud chasing on my yelp Atty. But on my ipv3 150wTt I run dual 24g twisted 7 wraps that ohm out to .21 on my xv3 Atty. which in my opinion is great good flavor and good clouds at about 70-80 watts is what I vape it at and it's slightly warm perfect cape.
30-04-2015 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes zacclague95's post:
BOB (05-01-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I agree, simple coils can work just as well as the crazy ones. I find it hilarious to watch YouTube reviewers showing off coil builds, especially RiP Trippers, because every single time they talk about how it produces "crazy huge clouds" and "the flavor is off the chain" and "this build is THA TITS!!!" and I'm just thinking "dude, you say that every single time. Seriously?"

I've tried a lot of builds... Basic single, dual and quad coils, twisted kanthal, twisted ribbon, Clapton coils, dragon coils, nano coils, vertical quads, "The Inception Coil" (which was a pain in the ass to build) and a bunch of others, but I always go back to the simple dual coils. The others just aren't worth the effort, as the extra vapor is slim to none. The main thing is the resistance and the thickness of your wire, those are really the only things that affect it from my experience. Everything else is just for fun to show off to your friends. 
30-04-2015 02:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-30-2015), BOB (05-01-2015), Cman (04-30-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Surface area, total wick displaced by coil, totl airflow available, airflow path through/around coils - these are all things to consider, that even most advanced builders don't seem to consider.

Properly accounting for all these things pays off.  Just throwing cool shit on there because you saw it on YouTube, won't help much.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
30-04-2015 09:25 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
BOB (05-01-2015), Michael (05-01-2015)
Cman Offline

Likes Given: 166
(30-04-2015 02:55 AM)Michael Wrote:  I agree, simple coils can work just as well as the crazy ones. I find it hilarious to watch YouTube reviewers showing off coil builds, especially RiP Trippers, because every single time they talk about how it produces "crazy huge clouds" and "the flavor is off the chain" and "this build is THA TITS!!!" and I'm just thinking "dude, you say that every single time. Seriously?"

I've tried a lot of builds... Basic single, dual and quad coils, twisted kanthal, twisted ribbon, Clapton coils, dragon coils, nano coils, vertical quads, "The Inception Coil" (which was a pain in the ass to build) and a bunch of others, but I always go back to the simple dual coils. The others just aren't worth the effort, as the extra vapor is slim to none. The main thing is the resistance and the thickness of your wire, those are really the only things that affect it from my experience. Everything else is just for fun to show off to your friends. 
I agree 100%.
(30-04-2015 09:25 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  Surface area, total wick displaced by coil, totl airflow available, airflow path through/around coils - these are all things to consider, that even most advanced builders don't seem to consider.

Properly accounting for all these things pays off.  Just throwing cool shit on there because you saw it on YouTube, won't help much.

All those things are applicable to a simple coil build as well ,  i think the point was that a fancy coil really does not contribute to a superior vape if it's wicked correctly against a simple coil wicked correctly.
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 08:37 PM by Cman.)
30-04-2015 08:36 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

See, that's where I must disagree.

A fancy coil wicked and placed correctly, will be a superior vape.  

A fancy coil setup NOT done correctly, is no better than a simple coil regardless.

30-04-2015 09:04 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(30-04-2015 09:04 PM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  See, that's where I must disagree.

A fancy coil wicked and placed correctly, will be a superior vape.  

A fancy coil setup NOT done correctly, is no better than a simple coil regardless.

That's a good point. A lot of the fancier builds are designed to create the best vaping experience by maximizing surface area, airflow, wicking, etc., but they're often much more difficult to build properly. I'm sure a twisted ribbon kanthal parallel quad vertical coil** would be great if it was done properly, but the problem is that there's a steep learning curve on those kind of builds. There's a lot more room for error with the simple builds, and if you're just a tiny bit off with a complex build you'll have a terrible vape and have to scrap it all.

**Note: I'm just making crazy coils up right now Tongue

That actually does sound like an epic coil though, I might have to try something like that on my Igo-W6...
01-05-2015 06:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (05-01-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

^to reiterate that very point, I just built another quad micro for the Mini.  My wicking was a little tight on one coil but I let it slide because it seemed "OK" and screw it - those little guys are a ROYAL PITA to wick, lol.  

NOPE.  Doesn't handle power nearly as well as the first build and always has a slightly burnt taste to it.  And I'm sure I know why, because I KNOW that the wick on coil #2 isn't right, and I'm 100% positive that 3 coils are firing beautifully and that one isn't keeping up.  We'll see when I take it apart if that wick shows scarring/burning, but I'm extremely confident in my assessment.   

01-05-2015 07:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (05-01-2015)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,580
That's the issue. Is the 1% gain worth the 1000000% extra effort?

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
01-05-2015 08:20 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Oh but Don - it's SO much more than a 1% gain when you get it right...  Wink

01-05-2015 09:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Don (05-02-2015)