Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advanced coils?
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Advanced coils?
Hey folks, I was just wondering does anyone know the science behind crazy advanced coil builds? I see all kinds of crazy builds, stapled fused Claptons, transformer coils, and of course that crazy "Giger coil" I invented a few days ago (that's my name and I'm sticking to it!) and I gotta wonder, what the hell are these things for? I mean sure, I understand that you want to have as much surface area as possible in your coils, that's why parallel coils work so well, and I know Claptons and twisted coils are good for sucking up juice so the coil is basically its own wick, so they give good flavor... But what's the point of the ribbon wire wrapped around the Transformer coil? Or what's the point of Alien coils, aside from being weird looking fused Claptons? I just don't understand why the crazy builds make any difference over something simpler. Is it entirely for bragging rights? 
15-02-2016 05:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,295
RE: Advanced coils?
Mostly for bragging rights.  You hit all the points that matter - thermal capacity, surface area, wicking - beyonf that, it's art for art's sake.  not that there's anything wrong with that!

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
15-02-2016 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
gentlydoingit* (02-16-2016), Michael (02-15-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,100
One of the YouTube videos show in macro how the capillary action works with the alien fc.. capillary is the reason fc's are superior to parallels, the more juice you can get to stick to the coil when it's heated the better. Some wires are just show, I make a few myself Biggrin but some really do serve a purpose. 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
16-02-2016 01:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Michael (02-16-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

That's what I was thinking when I made my crazy coil the other day, I figured the Clapton and the twisted wire would have spectacular capillary action. Today I made some weird coils that are mostly for looks, but I think they'll also vape pretty good. I've heard about something called "staggered heating" or something like that, basically parallel with one strand longer than the other so it heats up in steps, now I'm wondering if that actually works or just hype. 
16-02-2016 02:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,100
By chance a good while ago I made a coil that heated like it changed gear.. it was a near perfect vape! Can't remember what I did though Confused

Nice n easy if I was chilaxin, cloud machine if I wanted it to be.. and with real great flavour. I've hunted for it ever since but I still haven't found the combo

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
16-02-2016 02:22 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Michael (02-16-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

See that's why you should always take pics and show off on the "how do you dip yer wick?" thread, so you could find it again Tongue
16-02-2016 03:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (02-16-2016), gentlydoingit* (02-16-2016)