Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ALl USB not created equal? What's the difference?
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,301
ALl USB not created equal? What's the difference?
This is making me crazy.

When we bought our eGo-C's, we bought the adapter cords separately, without the wall charger - we have like, tons of USB adaptors, from our laptops to the dozen or so USB Android and tablet chargers around the house, etc.

The 1100 MaH eGo batteries were taking not hours, but HOURS to charge.  Like, overnight they weren't fully charged yet.  Multiple adapters, same problem.

Went back to the shop and bought one of the eGo wall units just to be sure?  Full charge in under 3 hours.

WTF..?

USB is supposed to be universal - that's the point.  Why would the eGo-C cord adapter work with THEIR wall charger, and not with other USB chargers?  This makes NO sense to me.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
07-04-2014 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Let-There-Be-Light Offline

Likes Given: 1
RE: ALl USB not created equal? What's the difference?
USB ports on computers range from 500mAH on plain usb2, to 1000mAH on USB3.  Im not sure what an old USB1 port puts out for voltage.  

USB chargers run from 250mAh for old chargers, to 500mAH on iPhone 4, to 2100mAH for Samdung S4 and tablet computers.  

I have like 8 1500mAH to 2100 mAh tablet chargers kicking around the house so I can charge anything that isn't an apple.  Crapple will look at the charger and if it isn't a real Crapple charger it might refuse to charge.  

They could be doing something goofy with the USB adapter like Apple does, but I'm guessing it's just not enough power.  I'm using eGo 900 mAh batteries from MadVapes on both normal USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my PC.  The charge times are fast.  How many mAH output are the chargers you are trying to use?  

- Joe
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 01:42 AM by Let-There-Be-Light.)
07-04-2014 01:38 AM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,064
The USB standard requires negotiation of current and defaults to something like 150mA if not told otherwise. Apple require different signalling than anyone else. I believe that all USB devices wanting more than 500mA have to do some sort of strangeness to get it. Most inexpensive chargers don't care and just churn out the current.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
07-04-2014 05:58 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,301
but we aren't talking "inexpensive chargers", we're talking like, the ones that came with our Nexus 4/5 phones.  For whatever reason, the eGo charger cord thingie only seems to charge fast when plugged into THEIR wall charger.

Bleh.  Whatever, we have theirs now.  I'm just frustrated.  If something is called "universal" and adapted as an industry standard, it should be bloody universal.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
08-04-2014 05:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
apt323 (04-23-2014), gords1001 (04-08-2014)
GMphyco Offline

Likes Given: 2
I agree with you Jaded. I went to charge one of my madvapes magestics last night on my girlfriends charger that came with her e-cig and it didnt even light mine up. I even tried her samsung s4 charger, no luck. It's all about the money...with chargers.. gotta have this "certian one" from this "certain" company or it wont work. Sorta like what apple does.
23-04-2014 03:28 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,003
I actually didn't know this was an issue until you guys brought it up.. I just assumed they were all one in the same. Bloody marketing ploys Confused
23-04-2014 04:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
apt323 (04-23-2014)