Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AG vs. VG
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
AG vs. VG
This is entirely my own opinion based on my own experience. 

For folks who mix their own juice, you probably already know what AG and VG are. For those who don't know, AG stands for "Aqueous Glycerin" and VG stands for "Vegetable Glycerin."

AG is essentially VG with water added as a dilutant to make the liquid less viscous. This can be used to make thinner juice without using as much PG (Propelyne Glycol), so your juice doesn't have a harsh throat hit. 

From my experience, AG can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's great when you're mixing thin juice to put in a low-watt MTL tank (such as when I make juice for my Nautilus Mini). It allows the juice to be thinner and still smooth without the harsh throat hit associated with high levels of PG. 

On the other hand, it's terrible for high-power DTL tanks or RDAs. 

When I mix juice for a DTL tank or RDA, I want it to be somewhat thick and viscous, but also thin enough to wick well in a tank. AG seems like a good option for this, but from my experience it doesn't work well. 

I don't know why, so I can only speculate, but juice made with AG seems to splatter and boil much more than juice made with plain VG. I can only assume it's got something to do with the water having a different boiling point than VG. At lower power levels, it doesn't matter, but when you use an RDA at high wattage (for example, my Phenotype-L on my RX200 which is currently set at 110W), it blows hot boiling juice all over and can be quite painful if it splashes on your skin. I have the burns to prove it. Tongue

So in my opinion, AG is good for mixing thinner juice to be used at lower power levels in tanks, but it's not very good for mixing high VG juice for RDAs or powerful sub-ohm tanks. 

If you have other experience or want to throw in your own opinion, please leave a comment below. I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion on this since my own experience with AG is limited. 
21-05-2016 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Chuck-Drl (05-22-2016), paulS (05-22-2016), TinWhisker (05-21-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,848
RE: AG vs. VG
Well, I will say this reminds me that I still have a whole lot to learn. Frankly, I've never heard of AG until this thread. And I appreciate the new knowledge.
21-05-2016 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Michael (05-21-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
Although I'm not using high VG, I had been trying with 10 % water addition to my e-liquid attempting to reduce the dry tongue feeling. Firstly, some flavours tend to taste waterish. Secondly, as you mentioned the splatter is invreased. Then I checked the boiling of glycerol, l learned it's around 290 C / 550 F. But PG is "only" 180 C / 370 F.
21-05-2016 04:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes peter-k's post:
Michael (05-21-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,938
I've never used AG - which is usually VG with around 10% added distilled water. I'm well used to the horrible behaviour of cold (-25C) VG which pours about as well as toffee does.

AG will hit your throat harder than VG.

I may add that one of my patients uses 5% flavour, 85% PG and 10% vodka and zero nic. This patient likes the throat hit. For me - even at their 9W - this is like a dragon flaming in your throat. Don't got there unless you have to.

And if you do, there's a syringe full of antipsychotic drugs waiting for you...

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
22-05-2016 08:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Michael (05-23-2016), TinWhisker (06-24-2016)