Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A very dangerous game
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
A very dangerous game
I am not an expert by any means, but I do try to teach safety. Yesterday, while hanging out in my favorite vaping lounge, I noticed two younger guys off in a corner laughing and giggling and being generally obnoxious. Now, I would normally just turn my head and focus on the conversation that I'm a part of but I noticed what they were doing. Both of the guys had mechanical mods with RDAs and they would take a long draw and stick the bottoms of their mods to one another. The one that got stuck would wince in pain and move away laughing. I made my way over to them and asked, knowing all along, how they were burning one another. They begin to explain that the buttons on their mods would get hot when they hit them and that their game was akin to heating up a bic lighter and branding a smiley face on your friend, a game that I, sadly, played in my formative days. With all of the scrutiny surrounding vaping, and my personal regard for life in general, I really wanted to avoid these two blowing their mods up and injuring themselves so I asked them what ohms their coils were at. The reply was a very scary one with both of them stating they they had no idea. I pulled out my ohmmeter and asked them if they would mind if I checked their ohms, fronting like I was generally curious. Upon checking their ohms, both of which were pushing .1, I started my lecture. I explained the dangers and the limits of certain batteries, letting them know in explicit detail what could and would happen if they continued with the setups that they were running. I honestly believe that I instilled a fear and respect of their mods in them as they asked me to help them build suitable coils and explain all of the in and outs of vaping safety, coil building, and getting the most from their vapes. I spent well over two hours with them and it honestly felt great to feel like I educated them and may have saved their lives. 
29-04-2015 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 11 users Like CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
18sixfifty (04-30-2015), Almost Jaded (04-29-2015), BOB (04-29-2015), Cloudwalker (05-01-2015), ElectronicEmily (04-30-2015), Michael (04-30-2015), phlash (04-29-2016), Ripply (05-06-2015), Robjenko (04-29-2015), Spasmod (04-29-2015), Whiskey (04-29-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
RE: A very dangerous game
I haven't had this experience with vaping yet, but I've had those moments with newbies to the car/racing scene, audio equipment, and most frighteningly - GUNS.  SMH

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
29-04-2015 07:24 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
18sixfifty (04-30-2015)
amsage Offline

Likes Given: 1
Heh, I had a somewhat similar experience, but it was the proprietor of a local shop that was the idiot not being safe about battery capability & resistances. 

I told him that I felt like I wasn't getting enough flavor out of my build...he asked if I had ever tried twisted coils.  I told him that I'd heard of them, but knew virtually nothing about them and had never tried a build with them.  I unfortunately did not have my mod with me, as I hadn't expected to rebuild, and was just stopping in to get some juice.

He sells me two pre-built twisted coils.  When I get home, I throw them on my RDA, and (shame on me at this point, I suppose), try to test fire on my Sigelei 50w (which can fire as low as .2 ohms)...nothing.  I realize why almost immediately, and toss the build on my roommate's ohm meter...it read .06!!!  Now, I was somewhat lucky in that I tried test firing on a regulated mod, and would have technically been using "safe" batteries that could handle a 60A pulse...but hot damn, that essentially would have been firing at ~250 watts and 58A if I had tried to fire on a mech. 

The guy never said a word to me about it, even though I told him I knew virtually nothing about twisted coils.  He also sold me a bogus Dark Horse (charged me $85, claimed it was authentic, but it was totally a clone).  This guy has lost my business for sure, and I have half a mind to blow his shop up on yelp and other pages, just in case someone actually does get hurt following his lackluster tutelage.
29-04-2015 07:54 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like amsage's post:
Almost Jaded (04-29-2016), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-30-2015), Michael (04-30-2015), Spasmod (04-29-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
OMG, reading this just blew me away, no words can explain how pathetic I think these kids are today with vaping, just another challenge away from blowing off an arm or part of their face....I am sure the show off faze will disappear fast if and when someone gets hurt.
29-04-2015 08:12 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Whiskey's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-30-2015), Michael (04-30-2015), Spasmod (04-29-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
amsage - half a mind?!  DO IT.  That guy is ripping people off and endangering people.  There's no second thought to give here.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
29-04-2015 09:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (04-30-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Yea, passing of clones as authentic is definitely grounds for a yelp thrashing. As for the coils, that's pretty much reckless endangerment. This snake needs to be shut down before he really hurts someone.
30-04-2015 12:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
Michael (04-30-2015)
Breazy_Com Offline

Likes Given: 32
Well I've found that the young people vaping and doing things like that eventually give it up and go back to smoking. It's like a fad to them usually on mommy and daddies wallets!
30-04-2015 03:11 AM
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,354
This right here is another great reason why we as a community need to push for vaping education. At one of my local shops, there are several workers who constantly run super sub-ohm builds on single 18650 mech mods, and show them off to clients as "the best way to vape." A few months back I was entering my first cloud competition and asked one of the guys how to get more vapor, and he told me to try triple parallel 24ga on a 3mm diameter with three wraps. Now for anyone who doesn't want to do the math, that works out to around .05 ohms (really quick math in my head, so if I'm off by a little bit don't nitpick). So here I am using an LG HE2 18650 in a mech mod with a .05 ohm build on a Mutation X, thinking "man, this is awesome!" And the guy who told me about it said that's what he vapes all day every day with his Patriot on a mech. Now, building super low when you know the risks and doing it for just a few seconds for a cloud comp is one thing (though still stupid), but suggesting it to a customer who knew nothing about the dangers is another thing entirely. That build was trying to get 74 amps out of a cell that's rated to 20 amps. I'm lucky I didn't blow my face off. Needless to say, I don't go to that shop very often anymore.

Things like that are completely unacceptable. If you're going to work in a vape shop, you should have at least a basic understanding of Ohm's Law and how it applies to vaping, as well as how amp ratings work and what kind of builds to use to keep your customers safe. If you want to be an idiot and blow up your mod on your own time, that's fine, but don't suggest that your customers do it too. I really think there should be some kind of test before people can get a job at vape shops, because seriously there are way too many idiots who have no idea what they're doing and it's going to get someone hurt. 

That's why I hope we can push for vaping education, not only for politicians writing policies and bans, but also for the vapers themselves. Because yes, we want politicians and officials to learn about the benefits of vaping compared to smoking, but it's just as important to keep vapers safe. If people know the risks and decide to be stupid anyway, that's fine, but they at least need to know the risks beforehand. 
30-04-2015 03:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-30-2015), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-30-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Totally agree Michael. I've been talking to the owner of Golden Vapors here in Cleveland about organizing an education and safety class. Would you mind disclosing the name of the shop you had that experience in? I would like to steer clear of it when I do my Chattanooga vape shop tour.
30-04-2015 03:25 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,592
@CL0UD_Z3R0 I take my hat off to you sir! 
30-04-2015 06:23 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-30-2015)