Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Story From the Pub
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
A Story From the Pub
So I was hanging out at the pub with my girlfriend when a guy noticed that I brought my own pool cues and asked to play a game with me. I obliged, of course, and to make a long story short, I ended up having to buy him a beer after betting he couldn't make a particular shot without pocketing the wrong ball.

As we played and talked, I found out that he was a soldier who just came back from a three-year tour of service in the US Army. He was a really nice guy, and he seemed genuinely friendly as he asked me about myself. We traded stories and phone numbers, and had a grand old time. 

Of course I was vaping (the pub is one of the few restaurants around that still allows vaping inside), and he got interested in one of my mods. I was alternating between the iStick and God Mod at the time. He said he had tried an ecig before, but it had never seemed good enough to satisfy him so he went back to smoking. The man must have gone outside five or six times to smoke during the two hours I was there. He asked to try my iStick, so I let him. He said it tasted great, and so I took the opportunity to give him a short mini-sermon about how vaping is a lot better for you than smoking, "plus that cute girl over there is willing to kiss me after I vape," *wink, wink*. I also told him that a lot of people start out trying ecigs that just don't measure up, but not all ecigs are equal and that's why some people don't like them at first. He noticed my God Mod and said that he wouldn't want something that big, it just seems like a lot of hassle and it's a lot easier just to light up a cigarette. 

And that was pretty much the end of the ecig conversation. We had a few drinks, played a couple more games of pool, and promised a rematch next time I go to the pub since he lives across the street. 

I can't help but wonder if I could help him make the switch. Of course, you can't make someone switch if they don't want to, but I can't imagine why someone would want to keep on giving themselves cancer when they could have something with much better flavor and smell, and with none of the negative health implications. 

There's a part of me that really wants to just buy him an iStick with a ProTank and let him choose if he wants to use them or not. Then there's another part of me that says "hey, you can't afford that, and you don't even know if he'd want it." And then there's a small, quiet part of me that is whispering "let the man make his own decisions, he can kill himself if he wants to."

It's a tough place to be, making a new friend and watching them make bad decisions. I've given away mods before, but always to people who have been very interested, like my co-worker who told me she would like to try vaping instead of smoking but couldn't afford the starter kit. This is different, since "Sarge" (that's what everyone calls him since he's a sergeant) has just a passing interest, and makes enough money from the government to buy his own gear if he wants to. But since he had a bad first experience with an unsatisfactory vape, he'll likely never make the switch. 

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, or if there's even a point at all. I guess I just need to talk through this with someone who understands the situation so I can figure out what to do. Of course, I don't want to cram it down his throat and try to preach about how smoking kills, fire and brimstone, blah blah blah. But I know he doesn't have a clue what good vaping gear really is, and I doubt he'd take the time or effort to learn on his own. When we were talking about my gear, he mentioned how it seems like ecigs are either unsatisfying, like the cigalikes and eGo pens he had tried before, or way too big like my God Mod. I think I got him interested by letting him try my iStick, since it's a much more manageable size while still putting out a decent vape. I just have no idea what to do, or if I should even do anything.

I don't know if I'm looking for someone to respond to this or not. If you've got any advice for me, I'm all ears. I guess I just needed to get this off my chest. 
02-04-2015 06:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Michael's post:
Chuck-Drl (09-12-2016), Chum (10-10-2016), JohnnyMac (04-03-2015), wedgtail (04-03-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,292
RE: A Story From the Pub
Being a soldier he'll most likely find it a real hassle as he'll be used to being on the move constantly in the field and it's far easier to spark up an cigarette than to mess about with an ecig. I would likely still put something together for him though for him to use now and then when he's not on service. Even if he cuts down it all helps right?

Maybe pick up a 10ml bottle of good 18-24mg juice for him from your local B&M and let him try that for the night while you play pool next time. The experience might get him in the mindset that he actually can live without smoking who knows.

I'd find it played on my mind about what's best to do just like you. It's a difficult one really Smile

02-04-2015 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Spasmod's post:
JohnnyMac (04-03-2015), Michael (04-02-2015)
Mark Benson Offline
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendors

Likes Given: 0
This is part of the problem - educating people about vaping and stripping out all of the mis-information and blatant untruths peddled by the critics. If people have unbiased information then they can make their own mind up.

Regards,

Mark

For more information on OK Electronic Cigarettes and the various products available please visit the OKCigs website.
02-04-2015 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark Benson's post:
Chum (10-10-2016), JohnnyMac (04-03-2015), Michael (04-02-2015), Spasmod (04-03-2015)
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 979
Ill tell you what, you want to get him hooked up with a decent starter kit, Ill donate $10 to the cause.

Next time your shooting pool with him, let him use one while your hanging out. At the end of the night/day/whatever, ask if he thinks it is something he would like to use

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
02-04-2015 06:26 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Pulsar's post:
BOB (04-02-2015), Don (04-03-2015), JohnnyMac (04-03-2015), Michael (04-02-2015), Robjenko (04-02-2015), Spasmod (04-03-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Thanks for the offer Pulsar. I might take you up on that, pm me if you're serious. 

I think what I'll do is put together a starter kit and let him use it while we play, and at the end of the night ask if he'd like to keep it. It would be best to keep it as hassle-free as possible, so I'm thinking an iStick with a good tank with inexpensive coils and a couple small bottles of juice. My local shop has a deal when you buy three bottles you get them cheaper, so I figure I'll get one tobacco, one fruit, and one dessert of some kind. He really liked my chocolate tobacco mix last time after all. Any ideas for a good tank to get? I had the Protank 3 mini on it when he tried it, but I have a feeling that might not be strong enough for someone who's a heavy smoker. I think the Nautilus is a bit fiddly from my experience, easy to flood which would annoy a newbie. 
Then I figured I'd tell him something like "This is so you don't have to go outside to smoke, and maybe save your lungs some work since it's way better for you than smoking." you know, something casual that's not too pushy, kind of present it as a way to prevent the hassle of going outside, and as a side note it might help your health too. 

Shit, I feel like it would be easier just to ask him to the prom... 

Oh and Spas, if I understood him correctly he's back for good. He was with some guys who were all former military and helping him get reacclimated to civilian life. I think he was discharged, so if that's the case, then the whole being out in the field thing won't be a big concern. 
02-04-2015 10:45 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
JohnnyMac (04-03-2015), Spasmod (04-03-2015)
BioHazardCustoms Offline

Likes Given: 4
Michael,
Next time you're going to be in the Birmingham area, shoot me a message. I've got a Nautilus mini that I don't use, that he is welcome to, one old soldier to another.
03-04-2015 04:28 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like BioHazardCustoms's post:
Don (04-03-2015), Spasmod (04-03-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Very kind of you mate. I'm not sure if/when I'll be back down there again, but if/when I do I'll let you know. 
03-04-2015 04:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Spasmod (04-03-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,292
Awesome guys, this is one of the things that makes this community so great, everyone is willing to help others Drinks
03-04-2015 08:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Michael (04-03-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Amen to that, Spas. I've already gotten PMs from a couple folks wanting to help. It's really great seeing everyone come together to help a soldier out. 
03-04-2015 09:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Don (04-03-2015)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,355
I was one once. 

For two weeks Smile

As a potential officer (Chaplain). The life wasn't for me though.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
03-04-2015 09:57 PM