Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24g wrapped with 26g thought
shadowxsx Offline

Likes Given: 12
24g wrapped with 26g thought
Had a Lemo 2 for a while but upon reviews and seeing the build deck of the Griffin + add in you can have a full tank and rebuild and top fill sold me on it.

Thinking of trying a new coil setup instead of the twisted pair 24g I have been running for a while on both, not sure if there is a name for it and I imagine it has been done so probably is. I ordered some 26g and did a test to see if the griffin could hold it, what I did was take a single 24g and wrap it with 26g using a drill with a tight outer coil (only about 1/2 an inch as a test) and it fits in the post holes fine.

Just wondering if anyone has tried making a coil like that and if they have what the results were
27-05-2016 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Online
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 6,887
RE: 24g wrapped with 26g thought
You'll want 5 wraps to hit the .2 mark, but 24 wrapped in 26 will be twice the length, effectively 10 wraps long, and with a 2.5mm id itll be ~3.8mm total dia.. I'm not sure it'll fit, even built as a .15.
It's not a great coil either tbh. The point of a clapton is to capillary juice into the coil, with such a large g wrap it's not going to take effect. Stands a chance of having a dry/burned taste as the internal wire could heat with little juice contact. For me a clapton wrap starts at 32g-34g, some use 30.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
27-05-2016 10:39 PM
shadowxsx Offline

(27-05-2016 10:39 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  You'll want 5 wraps to hit the .2 mark, but 24 wrapped in 26 will be twice the length, effectively 10 wraps long, and with a 2.5mm id itll be ~3.8mm total dia.. I'm not sure it'll fit, even built as a .15.
It's not a great coil either tbh. The point of a clapton is to capillary juice into the coil, with such a large g wrap it's not going to take effect. Stands a chance of having a dry/burned taste as the internal wire could heat with little juice contact. For me a clapton wrap starts at 32g-34g, some use 30.

I did wrap 24g with 26g and it fit (actually better than 24g does in my lemo 2 post holes). Maybe I got a mutant griffin ( geekvape confirmed it was real though) 

What concerned me was resistance as doing so seems it would greatly increase resistance plus a tight wrap like that, like you said may result in worse flavor. Heck I may give it a shot and be out about $1.50 of wire + the fix if it is bad
27-05-2016 11:58 PM
gentlydoingit* Online
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 6,887
It's the entire size of the coil fitting in the housing rather than the wire in the post hole.. a usable resistance is a big old coil. You can build it .1 easy enough, but for the wire it's a bit low for a single strand to perform well. Give it a go, see what you think Good

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
28-05-2016 12:10 AM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,291
I don't really see the point; a twisted pair of either 24 or 26 makes more sense than a 24/26 Clapton.

For "simple" Clapton coils I like 24 wrapped in 30 or 32; my all time fave is 3 strands of twisted anything 28 through 32 wrapped in 32.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 03:08 AM by Almost Jaded.)
28-05-2016 03:08 AM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
Claptons don't raise the resistance much (if at all). The reason is that electricity takes the path of least resistance, so there will be hardly any electricity flowing through the wrap, it'll all travel through the core. The wrap is there to trap juice with capillary action as gentlydoingit* said. The problem with such a thick outer wrap is that it'll take longer to heat up, and it'll hold heat longer so you'll end up not having a very good vape and it'll waste juice by staying hot longer after you've stopped firing it. That's why Claptons are made with thinner gauge on the outside: the thinner gauge, the less it affects the coil itself and it'll also hold liquid better. 
28-05-2016 05:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
shadowxsx Offline

(28-05-2016 05:01 AM)Michael Wrote:  Claptons don't raise the resistance much (if at all). The reason is that electricity takes the path of least resistance, so there will be hardly any electricity flowing through the wrap, it'll all travel through the core. The wrap is there to trap juice with capillary action as gentlydoingit* said. The problem with such a thick outer wrap is that it'll take longer to heat up, and it'll hold heat longer so you'll end up not having a very good vape and it'll waste juice by staying hot longer after you've stopped firing it. That's why Claptons are made with thinner gauge on the outside: the thinner gauge, the less it affects the coil itself and it'll also hold liquid better. 

Ok yeah that makes sense, must have misread/misunderstood what gentlydoingit meant

May try a tri twist just for fun, not like $10 for 100' of kanthal and 25 japanese cotton squares was expensive (amazon) so if I waste a little no biggie

Already did a twisted pair 26g for my lemo 2 (just alot easier to fit  and secure under the screws), not to bad. Just want to try something different as I like experimenting and tinkering with things
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 08:51 PM by shadowxsx.)
28-05-2016 08:42 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes shadowxsx's post:
Michael (05-28-2016)