Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
0.14 ohm
Thedude19833 Offline

Likes Given: 11
0.14 ohm
Hi guys i am fairly new to vaping. I am using my first rdta and its a peerless tank with dual Clapton coils Japanese cotton with iron fist mod. My question is basically what wattage to run at... The mod says the coils are 0.14, I have been running strawberry jam monster juice. Seems to work the best at 40 watts but can taste better at 55 or 60 watts but then tank gets too hot and starts to spitback juice. Just curious if 40 watts is what i should be running it at? I have a fireluke tank with mesh coils that runs the juice no problem at 60 watts. Any advice would be great Smile Thanks!
08-06-2018 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,546
RE: 0.14 ohm
Hi and welcome TD!

Go with what works for you.

If the tank gets too hot, let it cool for a bit between uses.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
08-06-2018 06:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Thedude19833 (06-08-2018), TinWhisker (06-08-2018)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,195
40w on a .14 Clapton build will retain heat, so let it cool between draws as Don suggests. I'm going to guess that you take longer draws since you're dialed in on the low side of a .14 build?
08-06-2018 07:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Thedude19833 (06-09-2018)
Thedude19833 Offline

I do take longer draws yes. It seems to taste better at 55 or 60 watts but then it seems to give me some hot spit back.
09-06-2018 04:52 AM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

(09-06-2018 04:52 AM)Thedude19833 Wrote:  I do take longer draws yes. It seems to taste better at 55 or 60 watts but then it seems to give me some hot spit back.

I also prefer the longer draws, so I know what you're going through.

So, what kind of experience are you looking for in the vape? See if any of these matches your preferences the best:
  • Flavor first, clouds second.
  • All You Need Is Clouds. Flavor is not high on the list.
  • Flavor most important, but decent cloud is, too.
  • Decent flavor, decent cloud.

How you answer will determine the next data set you get from us.
09-06-2018 05:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (06-09-2018), Thedude19833 (06-10-2018)
Thedude19833 Offline

For sure would have to say I am a flavor chaser but above average clouds would be great, nothing extreme.
10-06-2018 05:40 AM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

(10-06-2018 05:40 AM)Thedude19833 Wrote:  For sure would have to say I am a flavor chaser but above average clouds would be great, nothing extreme.

OK. Well, to be honest you sound a lot like me. If that is the case, (and not trying to sound conceited), you will benefit well from this thread.

Background first... My style sounds very similar to yours. I like long draws with lots of airflow, 4+ seconds. I like a cooler vape since 4+ seconds is a pretty long time and that heats up the build and parches the cotton in higher power usage, when you draw for that long. Along with the time and temp I like to vape on, I also find that flavor is first, but I do like a decent, satisfying cloud as well. If that sounds like you, read on. Otherwise, I will just spend a few keystrokes hoping to help someone else in the future.

I spent a lot of time with complex builds, i.e Clapton, twisteds, and the like, because I was sure I could not get decent flavor and clouds on a standard single strand plain wrapped coil. -Side note for a little theory. Claptons are regarded for their flavor because the extra surface area of the thin outer Clapton wrap increases surface area, allowing more juice to be exposed to the air during the draw-

So, I made many Clapton builds and many twisted builds. Many different gauges, inner diameters, number of wraps, varying gauges for the cores and Claptoning, etc. While I did find them to be good flavor and cloud, I had a few big issues that I detested that always left me searching for a better coil. Including:
  • The atomizer would get very hot
  • The coils would retain heat for a long time
  • Worst of all, that high residual heat led to residue settling on the coils and giving off a burnt taste, along with blackening the cotton and forcing me to clean and re-wick the coils almost daily.

The atomizer was so warm it was uncomfortable. Too warm to be comfortable on my lips. I was forced to either live with it or wait longer between draws, neither of which suited my style or desire.

Since my style lent itself to a hot atty and pathetic build life, I spent the last 3 years loving vaping, but always, constantly, searching for my perfect build.

Well, recently, to my delight I found it. Again, if your style sounds like my style, you will appreciate this. You sound like you at least DIY mount and wick/maintain your deck, so this is pertinent advice.

I found that the very simplest of all builds is actually perfect for me. Two builds work very well for me, and they are as follows:

BUILD ONE:
Parallel coils. 26 gauge A1 Kanthal. 3.0MM inner diameter. 6 wraps. This has a resistance of right around .35 Ohms. I vape it at 36 watts in power mode.

BUILD TWO:
Parallel coils. 26 gauge A1 Kanthal. 3.0MM inner diameter. 7 wraps. This has a resistance of right around .42 Ohms. I vape it at 28 watts in power mode.

Both of these builds deliver excellent flavor and respectable clouds. The atomizer and cells remain cool, and the juice wicks up quickly enough, even though I will sometimes be taking three draws in a minute, each at least 4 seconds, just like I like. The build is also lasting far longer than it ever did for me, because it does not retain the heat as much or as long as a big ol' Clapton build does. So I have much cleaner coils, pretty white cotton, and clean-ass flavor for at least a week between cleaning/re-wicking now. I am delighted.

I urge you to try one of these two builds and let me know what you think. *Caveat, as always- everyone has their own preferences, perceptions, and tastes. So you may find this post to be completely useless. And these are not the only two possible combinations, of course. There are many (MANY) metals, diameters, wrap counts, build methods, and on and on. Vaping is very simple, but vaping is also incredibly complicated too. The atomizer also plays a role, so you'll probably have to do a bit of fiddle-work to find your sweet spot, but this is a great starting point for you and anyone who is like me. I hope you find this helpful.
10-06-2018 06:06 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (06-10-2018), Merlin7 (06-12-2018), Thedude19833 (06-10-2018)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

A little bit about ramp-up and how it affects the vape experience...

Ramp-up is, as you can probably extrapolate, how long it takes the coils to reach their optimum operating temperature. The bigger the build (wrap count, diameter, wire gauge, etc), the longer it takes to heat up. And as a fun little inverse, they retain that heat a lot longer.

So for me, when I used 'big' coils, I suffered greatly from the affects of ramp-up. Since I like cooler vapes, my draws would start out really cool, and build up to decent heat quite late, like 5-6 seconds into the draw. That has a couple side-effects that also complicated and ruined things for me. After the second draw, the build had retained so much heat that it was too hot before my 4 second sweet spot, because it was holding on to so much latent heat. This led to a couple nice draws, then a couple crappy draws, then of course that dreaded settle-back of the extra juice, as well as fresh juice and cotton atomizing due to the latent heat build-up. This is what led to the premature fouling of my builds, as well as the uncomfortable temperature of the atomizer.

Using lower than optimal power also strains the cells, making them work harder. This not only heats up the cells and the mod itself, but over time shortens the life span of the cells too.

So, what about people that use big builds? What about people who use Claptons, twisted wires, multiple cores, etc? Why are they successful? Because they vape those coils at a much higher power level than me and you. That higher power is suited for the build, and reduces that ramp-up time by a huge factor, making it perfect for high wattage. And they pretty much wait longer between draws, too. That just isn't my style. Fancy coils and I just aren't compatible. I'm good with that. They look good, and can show your prowess as a builder, if you care about who has the biggest weenie, but for me, they just don't work out. I don't want to vape at 80+ watts for 2 seconds a draw.
10-06-2018 06:25 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (06-10-2018), Merlin7 (06-26-2018), Thedude19833 (06-10-2018)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,331
Ramp-up time is interesting because it does dictate the way you vape. I use big coils - 28g Kanthal with a 3mm core 5 to 6 wraps and low power - seldom over 12W - my ramp-up time is about 3 seconds - then it is a long draw 5-6 seconds but because I MTL my exhale can be 5 or 6 seconds as well - both are slow but I vape quickly between draws - if that makes any sense.[Image: smile.gif]
10-06-2018 06:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Thedude19833 (06-10-2018), TinWhisker (06-10-2018)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Sure it makes sense. Your wire is thin enough to dissipate the heat in time to keep you happy. Higher ID but lower wrap count sort of offset each other, just enough.
10-06-2018 07:02 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (06-10-2018), Thedude19833 (06-10-2018)